US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and North Korea’s former military intelligence chief held ‘substantive talks’ in New York today.
President Trump told reporters the talks were going well and that North Korean officials may come to Washington on Friday and that a letter will be “delivered to me from Kim Jong Un”.
The talks finished two hours earlier than expected because they “went well” and “made progress.”
An official said the talks lasted just over two hours but had concluded well before schedule.
Pompeo met with Kim Yong Chol, one of the North Korean leader’s closest aides and the highest-ranking North Korean official to visit the US in 18 years.
The meeting is designed to salvage the planned summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un scheduled for June 12.
Prior to the talks, Secretary of State Pompeo tweeted: “The potential summit between @POTUS and Chairman Kim presents #DPRK with a great opportunity to achieve security and economic prosperity. The people of #NorthKorea can have a brighter future and the world can be more peaceful”.
Trump said this morning: “will see what happens,” adding “hopefully we will have a meeting on the 12th.”
The President cancelled the meeting last week before quickly backtracking, admitting talks could still go ahead.
More to follow….