Police have made two arrests after a van drove through crowds down Barcelona’s famous tree-lined Las Ramblas boulevard, killing 13 people and injuring at least 100 others.
:: Barcelona terror attack: What we know so far
One of the men detained is the named suspect Driss Oukabir, a Moroccon national, who was from Marseille.
His Facebook page, which has now been taken down, also said he lived in the northern Catalan town of Ripoll, located about 50 miles north of Barcelona.
Police identified him as a suspect and released a photograph of him, saying he rented a van.
The passport of a Spanish citizen, of Moroccan origin, was found at the scene.
However, he reportedly handed himself in after seeing his photo on the news and has denied any involvement in the attack and told police his documents had been stolen by his brother.
:: Vehicles becoming terror weapon of choice
:: From Nice to Barcelona: A year of vehicle attacks
The other man arrested is a Spanish national from Melilla, a Spanish autonomous city on the north coast of Africa which shares a border with Morocco.
The men were arrested in Ripoll and in Alcanar – where police have said there was an explosion on Wednesday night connected to the van attack. One person died in the blast and another was seriously injured, according to police.
They suspect those in the house were “preparing an explosive device”.
Police are still hunting for the driver of the white Fiat van, who escaped the scene on foot, Police Major Josep Lluis Trapero told a news conference on Thursday night.
It is not believed he was armed at the time.
Islamic State has said it is behind the attack, according to the AMAQ newsagency.