Ryanair is changing its carry on baggage rules for the second time this year in a bid to reduce delays.
From November, non-priority customers can only take one small carry on bag that can fit under the seat in front.
If they wish to take a second bigger 10kg wheelie bag they will be charged £8 at the time of booking. The bag must be checked in at the airport bag drop desk.
Under changes enacted in January, passengers with a second larger bag have been required to take them to the gate where they are tagged and put in the hold.
The policy was introduced because flights were being delayed by people struggling to find space for their luggage in overhead lockers.
But Ryanair said the latest change still resulted in delays, with up to 120 bags needing to be tagged at gates for each flight.
The airline claims it does not “expect to make more money” from the latest change, which should “speed up boarding.”
Priority customers can continue to bring two free carry on bags, including a 10kg wheelie bag.
The maximum size of small bags allowed on board, like handbags or laptop bags, will be increased by 40%, but they still must fit under the seat in front.
It is cheaper to pay £6 for priority boarding than the new charge for checked in luggage.
However, priority boarding is only available to 95 passengers, or about half the capacity of Ryanair’s Boeing 787s.
Ryanair’s chief marketing officer Kenny Jacobs said: “This new policy will speed up the boarding and cut flight delays.”
He added: “60% of customers will be unaffected by these changes and we expect that the other 40% will either choose to buy Priority Boarding or a 10kg check bag or will choose to travel with only one (free) small bag as 30% already do so today.”
All customers on Ryanair flights with checked in luggage, who currently pay £25 for a 20kg bag, will pay £8 for 10kg from November.
The new policy will be implemented for all bookings made from 1 September.
Ryanair’s low-cost rival easyJet currently allows passengers to carry on one piece of hand baggage into the cabin for free.