‘High level of e-coli’ at Egyptian hotel where Britons died


Thomas Cook says a high level of e-coli and staphylococcus bacteria has been found at an Egypt hotel where two Britons died.

The travel company commissioned specialists to examine the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada after the unexplained deaths of John and Susan Cooper last month at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada.

Tests showed normal carbon monoxide levels near the couple’s room and normal levels of chlorine in the swimming pool.

However, Thomas Cook said “tests on the food and hygiene standards identified a high level of e-coli and staphylococcus bacteria”.

The firm’s experts say their tests still shed no light on why the couple died.

In a statement, the company stressed that specialists were not able to access the Coopers’ hotel room, which is under the control of the Egyptian authorities.

‘High level of e-coli’ at Egyptian hotel where Britons died e50f85e8d7aaa63877f9f0989d09556f1b65ab477d948812ce227f1a7717909b 4402248


Daughter home in UK and heartbroken

In a statement, Thomas Cook said: “It is clear from these results that something went wrong in August at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada and that standards fell below what we expect from our hotel partners.

“This is also supported by a review that we have conducted of our customer satisfaction scores, which fell sharply during this month.

“It is likely that the presence of e-coli and staphylococcus would explain the raised level of illness reported among guests at the hotel during this time, supporting Thomas Cook’s decision to remove our 300 customers.

“However, neither our independent specialists nor Doctor Vanya Gant believe that these results shed any light on the still unexplained cause of death of Mr and Mrs Cooper. We await the results of the autopsies being conducted by the Egyptian authorities.

“Having reviewed the test results we commissioned, we have taken the decision to roll out a programme of specialist hygiene assessments to all hotels which experience a higher than average reported level of sickness.”

Mr Cooper, 69, died in the room while Thomas Cook employee Mrs Cooper, 63, died after being taken to hospital, according to their daughter.

Thomas Cook ordered the evacuation of all of its guests staying at the hotel after the Coopers’ deaths.

Their daughter, Kelly Ormerod, who was on holiday with her parents at the time, believes it was something in the couple’s room that killed them and has said there was a strange smell inside during the previous night.

Source link

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.