Daily pauses on Syria strikes ‘not good enough’

0
67


An order by Vladimir Putin for daily five-hour ceasefires in airstrikes on the rebel-held Syrian enclave of eastern Ghouta does not go far enough, according to Save the Children.

The international aid organisation said the “humanitarian pause” ordered by the Russian leader was not a good enough measure to avoid further civilian casualties in the region.

More than 520 people are thought to have died as a result of relentless attacks by the Syrian government last week.

New footage obtained by Save the Children and given exclusively to Sky News shows the shocking aftermath of a strike on the office of a Syrian aid group on Saturday, hours before the UN Security Council voted on a 30-day ceasefire.


Dr Mohammad Khalid Hamza, a neuropsychologist Daily pauses on Syria strikes 'not good enough' Daily pauses on Syria strikes ‘not good enough’ skynews dr mohammad khalid 4241883

Video:
Children ‘waiting to die’ in Ghouta

Children are seen screaming as they scramble clear of the rubble while the dust clears. It is believed 46 families had been sheltering in the building before it was hit.

Three of those staying there were injured, including two young girls.

Save the Children – which works with partner organisations in Syria to help those affected by the ongoing conflict – has urged the UN to immediately implement the month-long ceasefire voted on over the weekend.

:: The complex who’s who of Syrian civil war

A Syrian child receives treatment for a suspected chemical attack in eastern Ghouta Daily pauses on Syria strikes 'not good enough' Daily pauses on Syria strikes ‘not good enough’ skynews eastern ghouta syria 4241737
Image:
A Syrian child receives treatment for a suspected chemical attack in eastern Ghouta

The charity said that the “humanitarian corridor” proposed by the Kremlin, designed to allow civilians to leave the enclave during the “pause” period, would do little to protect families from the “horrifying and never-ending violence”.

Local response director Sonia Khush urged the UN to implement the agreed month-long ceasefire immediately.

“As this conflict enters its eighth year, it’s clear that it is far from being resolved, and all parties involved continue to show utter contempt for children’s lives and wellbeing,” she added.

“The fighting must cease and aid agencies must be allowed to deliver lifesaving humanitarian assistance, or more children will die.”

Bombing of Ghouta has been going on for a week Daily pauses on Syria strikes 'not good enough' Daily pauses on Syria strikes ‘not good enough’ skynews ghouta bombing syria 4239709
Image:
Easterm Ghouta was devastated by bombs last week

The five-hour daily pauses are due to start on Tuesday, with Monday having seen further strikes.

Many projects Save the Children is involved with in the Middle Eastern country, including repairing damaged classrooms and providing counselling, have had to be suspended as a result of the continued violence.

Aid workers in eastern Ghouta estimate that 4,100 families are now living in underground basements and shelters in a bid to protect themselves from airstrikes, with more than half of them without water, sanitation or ventilation.

Members of the Security Council vote during a meeting on a ceasefire in Syria Daily pauses on Syria strikes 'not good enough' Daily pauses on Syria strikes ‘not good enough’ skynews un security council 4240075
Image:
Members of the Security Council vote during a meeting on a ceasefire in Syria

One young boy, Ahmed, was among those who spent much of last week trapped in a makeshift shelter.

“We’ve not been able to go to school, they shelled the school, the teacher was killed,” he said.

“There is no food and we can’t go outside, the shops are closed, the planes are bombing.”

In total, 350,000 people are trapped in eastern Ghouta, with many of those still alive unable to bury their loved ones due to the ongoing shelling.



Publish Date

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.