The terror cell behind Spain’s deadly twin attacks has been “dismantled,” but a hunt continues for one suspect, authorities say.
Giving a news conference this morning, Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said the cell consisted of at least 12 young men, many of them Moroccan, some teenagers.
“The cell has been completely dismantled,” he told reporters.
However, the hunt for the man suspected of driving the van in Barcelona – Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22 – continues.
He is not believed to be among those arrested or shot dead by security forces in the coastal resort of Cambrils.
The news comes as new CCTV video shows the speeding van hurtling along Las Ramblas on Thursday afternoon.
In the video a man can be seen desperately pushing a baby buggy out of the way of the vehicle’s path.
More details of casualties have also been released. Of the 126 people injured, 12 are critical and 25 have “major injuries”.
Abouyaaqoub is a Moroccan national who was living in the Spanish town of Ripoll.
Police previously believed another suspect, Moussa Oukabir, was the van driver.
But it emerged on Friday that Oukabir was among five men shot dead as they launched the second terror attack in Cambrils.
The 17-year-old is suspected of using his older brother’s documents to hire the vehicle that ploughed through pedestrians in Las Ramblas.
He reportedly died along with Said Aallaa, 19, and Mohamed Hychami, 24, who were part of a group that mounted a similar attack in Cambrils that left one woman dead and six people injured.
The identities of the other two shot by police are yet to be confirmed by police.
Four men, aged 21, 27, 28 and 34, who were arrested in connection with the attack remain in custody.
Three are Moroccan and one Spanish, and police said none of them was previously known to the security services for terror-related reasons.